Fresh Homemade Tofu - Part 1: Making Soymilk
Who wants to learn how to make TOFU? It’s quite simple really. First, we need to make SOYMILK. If the process is looking familiar, that’s because it’s pretty much the same as making almond milk. People will vary in their technique, but this is my prefer method.
- SOAK soybeans in plenty of water for 12 hours or longer.
- PULVERIZE the beans into mash with a little bit of water. (Vitamix does a beautiful job)
- Dump the mash in a large pot and MIX WITH WATER. (How much water? You are looking for the opacity of 2% milk.)
- BOIL the mixture. Take care cooking it like you would with cow milk; soymilk can boil over and burn easily.
- STRAIN the mixture. Use a triple layer of cheesecloth, or in my case, an upcycled wire-mesh coffee filter to do the job in small batches.
And there you have it! Delicious, nutritious, homemade soymilk unadulterated by sugar, vanilla extract, and other crap. Drink as is, or follow me to STEP 2: How to Make Tofu, which will be posted shortly.
I must emphasize, like any bean product, soy milk should NOT be consumed RAW. It must be cooked to neutralize the toxins that can results in terrible cramps, flatulence, or worse…
How to Make Tofu
Where can you find the good quality Soybeans to use for this? Any whole foods store or can you find it in most supermarkets?